"I just love the way sisal carpeting looks throughout my homes, but just like any carpet, sisal does not fare well with spills, or the occasional pet ‘accident.’ Fortunately, I discovered a remarkable product that does a fantastic job of making those stains disappear. It’s called Host Dry Carpet Cleaner Shaker Pack. This all-natural product is made up of a balanced blend of moisture, detergent, and a bit of safe-to-use solvents.
"I've used HOST Cleaner with great success and it's good for all types of carpet. Plus I love that it's environmentally friendly."
The purpose of the cleaning tests at Schrader Elementary School was to determine a way to solve a variety of carpet cleaning issues that are experienced each year in Pasco County Schools. These issues vary from severe wick back (browning of the carpet) to streaking, and the inability to remove spots and achieve an acceptable appearance.
Pasco County Schools requested the assistance of Collins & Aikman carpet manufacturing as their carpet is used in a large percentage of the Pasco County Schools. They were instrumental in getting the representation of the different types of cleaning methods to assist us in the testing.
The Low Moisture Absorption Method (HOST) is viewed as superior for the following reasons:
- No drying time after cleaning. We have experienced many IAQ issues due to AC systems not working long enough to get the carpet dry. Carpet can be cleaned at anytime and put back into use immediately. Carpet in a classroom where the class is out to lunch could be cleaned before they returned to the room.
- Limited set up and clean up time. There is no water to move around or dispose of in the process and only one piece of equipment is needed to do the entire process. Truck units are expensive to maintain and water qualities vary from site to site. There are no jets to unclog or pumps to repair as is with other systems. The water issue has become a much larger factor as water quality changes from school to school. We have identified water quality as a contributing factor in the re-soiling of carpets. The HOST System requires no extra water to be added to the carpet.
- Cost of operation. This can be argued from many different viewpoints depending on the facts you choose to include. From our hands on experience using all of the tested cleaning methods and the test data. We have concluded that the HOST cleaning system will provide Pasco County Schools with cleaner carpet at a lower cost of operation. This conclusion is based on labor costs and level of training needed, frequency of cleaning needed, total equipment and material costs and energy costs to the District School Board of Pasco County.
- Ease of operation and operator fatigue. This is based on the total number of machines used and the time each is used in each cleaning method. Host uses only a single machine to clean carpet while all the other methods require at least two machines and most required water to bhe carried to the area and disposed of later.
- IAQ factors - Host is the obnly carpet cleaning system that has proven through years of published, peer reviewed, scientific studies that it removes (extracts), and reduces mold spores, dust mites and other allergens in carpet significantly. As is stated in their literature "Research studies have shown that ONE cleaning with the HOST System using HOST machines reduces: Mold Spores by 85%; Dust Mites by 78%; Dust Mite Allergen by 75%; Cat Allergen by 85%." They carry an EPA registration (EPA Establishment No. 074202-WI-001) which allowes them to make these claims. Any manufacturer making claims of removal of biological materials from the carpet must be EPA registered and to my knowledge, no other manufacturer carries this EPA registry. IAQ issues are a very significant factor as carpets are often the target of many IAQ investigations in our schools.
Disctrict School Board of Pasco County, Florida